Tuesday, June 24, 2014

June 23, 2014

FAM. thanks for the emails!! I love hearing everything that is happening. Life's good here in Korea. This week was pretty good. It started off a little slow, but picked up towards the end. 

 I have been a little bit stressed about my investigators lately.  Some of them aren't progressing the way I would like them to. I am trying to be patient and help them the best  I can. I am also praying a lot for them to have the desire to want to learn and progress. 
This week when we met with 김경애, (kim gyeng aye) she taught us the Bible for a while, and then we taught her about how the Book of Mormon and the Bible support each other. We talked about the law of 2 and 3 witnesses in Corinthians and how the Bible and the Book of Mormon each testify of Christ. We also shared some scriptures from 2 Nephi 29 and testified that the Book of Mormon and the Bible are the word of God.  We bore our testimonies of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and how it contains the fullness of the Gospel. She doesn't feel like she needs the Book of Mormon. She always says that she has the Bible and that's all she needs. She always keeps the commitment to read the Book of Mormon, but when I asked her if she wants a testimony, she said she doesn't want one. She doesn't care to get one. We asked her why she wants to meet with us (felt like we were DTRing... determining the relationship...awkward)  and she said it's just because she wants to teach us the Bible. I didn't realize how much I love her and care about her until she said this. I was/am so so bummed. I thought somewhere inside her was an interest to find out if the Book of Mormon is true.  We have testified and promised her that she can pray and find out if the BOM is true, but she doesn't really care. I don't really know what we should do. I feel like it's a good opportunity to teach her about the Book of Mormon and about our church, but I don't know what to do.  At least she is reading a little bit of the BOM each week...For now, we'll continue to teach her.

박인영 (park een young) is doing pretty good. So a few weeks ago, we tried to teach her the gospel of Jesus Christ. When we first started teaching about faith in Christ, she was not understanding why we need faith in Christ, and she said she didn't want to follow Christ. It wasn't applying to her at all, so we decided to stop there and figure out how we can apply this to her life better. I prayed a lot to know what she needed and I felt like we should ask her what questions she had. She said she didn't have any, so we pulled out the "questions of the soul" part in PMG and asked her which of those questions sparked her interest. She chose "how do I avoid sin." We studied and taught her from Helaman 5 and then wrote on a piece of paper: our purpose on earth: to find happiness and return to God. Obstacles: sin and death  Solution: Jesus Christ's Atonement- and What we have to do: Jesus Christ's Gospel. When we showed her this, she was able to understand a lot better why she needs Christ and why we need to follow and obey Him. Through finding out what HER questions were and what she was ready to learn, rather than what WE were ready to teach, we were able to teach her the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This time she was a lot more interested and asked a lot of questions. She had a lot of questions about the Holy Ghost. We were really happy. We are starting to find her needs and teach according to her needs. I feel like that was a little miracle that happened this week. I have been praying that we could teach according to her needs.
Anna Kim: our schedules didn't match up this week so we weren't able to teach her. We are still in contact with her and continue to follow up on commitments. Hopefully this week we can meet.

명훈 (Sean) is the guy that met missionaries in Australia. We were supposed to meet with him and two of the elders on Saturday so we can 소개 (refer) him, but he didn't show up. Fanged us. He called later and said he would come to church, but he never came to church. :( Fanged us again. Hopefully we can get him to meet with the elders this week.

원당 (won dang) ward is great! We have our ward conference next week and so we are really trying to get our less active members to come. The less active member that came with Sis. Koo and I to the Sister Burton fireside has come to church ever since, and it active and involved again. :) I am really happy about that! We are working particularly with a less active member in the ward and trying to get her grandchildren to church. Her son is a member, but married to a non member lady. So we visit them quite a bit. All in all, the ward is doing well. We are meeting with a few more families to encourage them to set a date to find someone to share the gospel with. 

RANDOM:
so korea is way into Soccer, so the world cup is HUGE here. the other morning we were studying and we had our windows open. It was quiet outside, but suddenly we heard way loud cheering. It sounded like there was a stadium of people cheering outside our window, but it was just people cheering for Korea in the world cup. haha apparently the kids watch it in school and everyone was watching Korea play. We heard they tied Russia and then lost this morning to Algeria. 

In korea, fruit is dessert. So we eat tons of fruit when we visit people, and always after meals. Annnddd koreans eat tomatoes like they eat apples, so I get served tomatoes ALL THE TIME. i have to eat them like apples. i think that's been the hardest thing to eat while i've been here. hahaha

The other day, a member took us out to dinner. The main dish was: Octopus, Squid, and this other sea creature that i don't know the name of. This time the WHOLE octopus body was there. head and legs or whatever they're called. Sister jackson and i were looking at each other dying. hahahaha the taste wasn't too bad, but the texture was a little hard to eat. hahaha i think i just swallowed the thing whole. hahahah

So i have embarassing moments with korean all the time. haha this week I was at a member's house and she showed us a whole bunch of pictures of her family, and then her non member husband walked in and i said to him: "you have a very beautiful husband" he just kind of looked at me weird and then i realized i said that. hahaha i meant to say you have a beautiful family. hahaha so embarassing. I say wrong things on the street all the time to people. haha it's one embarassing moment after the other. :)

I just have to say I LOVE THE KIDS IN KOREA. Every few weeks I play the piano for primary singing time and it's my FAVORITE. i love being in primary with the kids, hearing them sing the sweet songs in korean. I can always feel the spirit there. i love love love the korean kids. I taught some of the little girls "i love you" in sign language, so whenever they see me they do it. randomly during primary they would look over and do it. and then during sacrament meeting too. i love it. they are adorable!!!

ok well i better wrap this up so i can answer some of your questions individually. I love you all! I love being here in Korea. Yes of course sometimes I wonder where in the world I am and what language I am speaking, but I love it. It feels like home. I'm used to everything now and I love it. I wish i could just capture where i am and what i do and show it to you. I love teaching people the gospel and sharing our happy message. I love being able to focus on the only important thing in the world.

Ratch: your week sounds so fun! I love the hot chocolate in the pool while teaching swimming lessons. so fun! i love that you went to the aquarium with beaut and jacob and his sister! sounds way fun!
Dman: hope byu basketball camp is fun this week! say hi to all my friends! weeeee. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! i will send you a letter so watch out for that this week. love you!
Ell: hope you are and jane are having fun down at Baba and Grandmas's house! how's piano going? Are you and jane running at all? I hope you have a good week! love you!
Jane girl: hope you're having fun down in Orem. I'm sure you're having a blast everyday! How is violin going? I heard you are doing a craft class. tell me how it goes! i love you! 
Beaut: your ballet costume is ADORABLE!!! i love the pic!!! how were your performances? remember last year when i took you to your dress rehersal and watched you!? swimming at jacob's house sounds fun! love you!
Marv: it is starting to rain a lot in korea. I would rather see a wolf because cougars are very scary. the other day a rat ran onto the sidewalk out of the bushes and started running around me. i screamed! I was scared. it was big. hahaha. i love you!
Mom and Dad- i love you! I hope you have a good week! thanks for all you do for me. I will probably get all of your letters in the next few weeks. thanks for all of them that you send! i love you!!!!

Sister Tara Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment